Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thoughts on the Garden

This year's garden had mixed results. It was a wonderful experience to nurture something, watch it grow to maturity then eat it! Very rewarding. We had some amazing cucumber sandwiches and one wonderful squash. After growing your own produce one is reluctant to buy it from the grocery store or farmers' market.

There were a lot of negatives.
Our garden was not as productive as it should have been. For the second year in a row ALL of our tomatoes were stolen by animals. The basil from the start looked sickly and the cucumber and squash plants started looking rough from insects and maybe some kind of blight.

I proudly presented my parents with a couple of cucumbers and a crookneck squash...

"What kind of cucumber is this?" My mom held the fruit of my labors distastefully in her hands.
"It's a pickling cucumber."
"Pickling cucumbers don't look like this. I think it is overripe."

Well, THAT was worth it. I don't see why I bother sometimes.

And I guess that is the question. Should we even bother with a garden next year? If so, we will have to invest more in some kind of fencing to protect all the veggies. Maybe spray against insects. Well, those cucumber sandwiches and the squash WERE good.

Maybe I will try one more time...