Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Accidental Zimmern: China Edition - Chicken Soup Surprise

Welcome to the China Edition of The Accidental Zimmern.

When traveling in China, I often encounter delicious and unusual food. Due to language differences (I speak Chinese with the ability of a native 4-month old), a lot of the time I find out what I ate after the fact...or I end up never quite sure.

Soups in China are wonderful, no matter if they are simple broths or laden with ingredients. This time I sat down to a lunch prepared in a factory I was working with. I promptly sat down and ladled a bowl of soup and dug in. It turned out to be a savory chicken soup. It was very rich and oily with flavor. It was so rich the soup was dark and not a typically clear chicken soup. As I often do when I encounter something delicious, I went back for more.

This time I submerged the ladle deep in the pot to make sure I got all the ingredients. I pulled up the ladle to reveal a DUCK HEAD, beak and all...

I shrugged, put the head back in the pot then ladled myself another bowl of soup. After all it tasted good, so I ate it.