Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Accidental Zimmern: China Edition - Year of the Rat

Three Accidental Zimmern posts on one day you ask? What did you do to deserve this?
My dear readers, I give you one AZ post for free and throw in two AZ posts, no charge. If you wish, my digital fedora is upturned for any contributions you wish to make through paypal or buying any of my stickers.

Back in a Chinese factory kitchen! The very idea of this sounds heinous to the uninitiated, but some of the best food in China can be encountered here. After all, this kitchen prepares meals for the factory owner and his guests, so it has to be good.

After enjoying another good meal, I decided to help the cook and take my dishes to the kitchen. On the kitchen counter where my food was prepared was a 8x12" piece of flat metal with bits of fur stuck to it. After all, a glue trap can be reused if you peel the rat back off of it...

A coworker had a similar experience. He entered the kitchen to see two freshly dead rats (the Chinese like their food fresh) laying on the same kitchen counter. Apparently he was early for dinner.

No matter when you visit China, it is always the Year of the Rat...