Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Accidental Zimmern: Korean BBQ Taco Box



And now introducing a new segment called the Accidental Zimmern in which I encounter new food, occasionally bizarre, often accidentally.

I'm the type of person that can say, "why yes, I HAVE tasted bear gall bladder fluid!" I'm also often the person that tries a dish first only to find out later it was something slightly unusual.

Why is this segment the Accidental Zimmern and not the Boredain? Because I want to enjoy food and just say whether it was good or bad, not wax poetic in a faux Kerouacian beat style. Bourdain is the DeNiro of food critics. Amazing and honest in his younger years, still has the chops in his older years, but decides to put out crap like Meet the Fockers.

This inaugural edition does not involve weird food but still is a first for me - the food truck. More specifically, the Korean BBQ Taco Box!

My brother (the bromad himself) and I were headed for a bowl of pho when we spied a huge yellow delivery van. The Korean BBQ Taco Box!Spontaneous guys that we are, we put off thoughts of pho turned back to the big yellow truck! I ordered the spicy pork taco and bromad got the chicken taco. Blazing hot out, we retreated to the cool confines of the apartment.So for about six bucks, I got a ginger salad (lettuce with ginger sauce. meh.), a spicy chicken wing (not bad), a fried tofu roll (nice), two fried cheese rolls (very yummy) and a spicy pork taco. The spicy pork taco was very delicious.

This is how I judge whether food is good or not: If I want to keep eating it just to continue experiencing the taste even though I am overstuffed. And the fried cheese rolls and spicy pork taco is good food.

WHAT SHOULD I TRY NEXT? ANY SUGGESTIONS?