Friday, July 15, 2011

Motorcycle Lust.

WARNING! Motorcycle talk ahead. Ignore post if you have no interest.

Recently re-watched Long Way Round and currently watching Long Way Down, documentaries of Ewan McGregor and his buddy Charley Boorman travel long distances on BMW GS series Adventure motorcycles. Lightning Quick Movie review by yours truly to follow soon!

I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised if I said now I want a motorcycle. As much as I'd like one of those BMW GS Adventures in the movie or even one of BMW's smaller adventure bikes, they are a little pricey for me and let's be serious - I am unlikely to be traveling offroad or on long trips anytime soon.

After a lot of dreaming and deliberation of actual needs, this is what I've come up with:

The Yamaha WR250x. It's basically a street legal 250cc dual sport bike with road tires. Under 30hp, 70mpg, 300lbs, 85mph top speed. So it's kind of a modest but really fun bike.

Issues and potential solutions:

Foul and cold weather. Well, wear rain gear and cold weather gear that I already have.

Cargo. They make really cool aluminum panniers, which are metal boxes that go on either side of the bike, typically for long trips or expeditions. This could hold groceries or daily gear. If this was my only form of transport and I need to carry something bigger (relatively rare occasion) like a trip to Home Depot, I would probably rent or borrow a car. If I have to take a cat to the vet I honestly don't have a problem with strapping a cat cargo cage to the back of the bike. Or I could walk or borrow a car. I would most likely need a car to take the dog to the vet.

I own a car that is not worth selling so would prefer to wear it out. The price of the Yamaha plus luggage would equal an decent used car which is admittedly more practical. I would prefer not to own two vehicles.

Maybe I need to wait for this car to wear out (10 more years or so!), then get a bike for awhile until it gets annoying to only have a bike then get a used car that will complement the bike.