Thursday, February 2, 2012

Shoe goggles: Comfort IS beauty


I like shoes. How many shoes should a "minimalist" have? none.

or one. for each foot.

Actually I think the real answer is the fewest possible to be able to do everything one needs and wants to do. so for me...

1. Barefoot as much as possible without health and safety issues. pool / gym shower fungus, ringworm, etc.
2. flip flops for everyday non winter casual use and the poolside / gym shower fungus thing.
3. Athletic shoe - running, hiking
4. Shoe acceptable for work and less casual activities.
5. Apocalypse boot - something to wear while riding motorcycles and fighting zombies...

I'm fine with one shoe covering more than one category but often what happens is you get with flexibility is less actual performance / quality.

I'm a little sick of my Vibram Five Fingers. I used to enjoy the "groundfeel" of them but now even they feel restrictive, with each toe surrounded and the heel tightly cupped. I think it's a result of getting these cozy LL Bean Wicked Good Moccasins. I have always preferred wearing sandals (flip flops) but you really can't run in them and a lot of workplaces don't allow them. And Chacos are damned heavy and strappy. I'm sure they would be comfortable though.

I'm tired of feeling my foot crammed in a shoe. I need space to spread out! And I need one that I can wear for more activities like running, longer distance walking, hiking, and a casual workplace. And not have to wear socks.

Strike One.
I ordered some Patagonia Pau Shoes. Nice leather and wide toe box. Also resolable. However, it bites me on the ankles and has a very loose fit for me overall. And the resoling costs $80!

Then I started thinking about Made in USA and I started doing research. New Balance was the only company I really knew of that made some shoes in USA. Unfortunately, their minimalist shoes are made, ahem...elsewhere.

In my search I also found a company called Soft Star Shoes (softstarshoes.com). Minimalist shoes made in Oregon from US raw materials. This sounds promising. I ordered the Soft Star Moc3 which is a slip on minimalist running shoe. It most likely will not be resolable. They are on their way to me and if they fit well I will keep them and start using them everyday! Either way I will let you know.