Thursday, February 16, 2012

Minimalist Running Shoes Go Toe to Toe - Vibram Five Fingers Classic vs. Soft Star Shoes Moc3


hmm. this time rock beats paper...


The UGLYSHOE (TM)* throwdown - road test

*don't get me wrong. I think all these shoes are beautiful. In the way your mom says you are beautiful...on the inside...No really, form follows function. Comfort is beauty. My eyesight is 20/20 with my shoe goggles on...

I've now had a chance to jog in both shoes around the MuniGeo (TM) test loop, an approximately 2 mile paved loop of neighborhood roads and sidewalks that includes hills, straights, a little gravel debris, and currently a discarded feather duster with a lone feather and a smushed squirrel (soon to be featured on MuniGeo (TM)).

First, the defending champ. VFF classic

+ allows toes to spread as much as possible. Look at the photo! The VFF is much wider!
+ 3mm sole feels very cushy compared to 2mm Moc3. Heel and forefoot felt very protected against inadvertent impacts

- suprisingly and almost against logic, with material around each toe, I felt very confined compared to the more shoe-like Moc3's.
- 3mm sole also feels clunky compared to Moc3's
- toe pain in crotch of toe running downhill

Now the contender. SSS Moc3

+ amazing groundfeel with 2mm sole.
+ with no material surrounding each toe, feet feel amazingly free.

- 2mm sole means easy impact injury due to a misstep.
- shoe is a little narrow, not allowing my feet to spread as far as I want.
- I can feel the seam connecting the upper to the sole.

The winner? Soft Star Shoes Moc3!
It is not perfect. I would love for it to be a little wider. And missteps can cause injury but that is my fault. This really is the ultimate minimalist, minimalist running shoe. For now this will be my primary outdoor shoe when I am not wearing sandals.

What's next?

More UGLYSHOE (TM) throwdowns including:
-running on trails
-wet weather, drying time
-funk test, washing
-new contenders??? Invisibleshoe, the ultimate minimalist running sandal?
-make your own UGLYSHOE (TM)?

If you want some VFF's, try this link. I get a commission if you buy through this link.
Vibram FiveFingers Womens Classic Multisport Shoe - Tan In Size: 36