Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thoreaudown

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. - Thoreau

Beware of all enterprises that require clothes. - theevildrsin

There are tons of enterprises that I get interested in that require a lot of equipment. And I've gotten sick of them. Examples of stuff I've dabbled in: Rock climbing, Ice climbing, Camping, Biking, Fancy Sports Cars, any hobbies of "collecting".

As a consumer with interests in design, it is hard for me not to get caught up in the gear. I need to focus more on the actual activity. And many actually don't require as much stuff as I think.

I like swimming. I really don't think much about my swim helmet, goggles, and suit. I don't really lust for more gear. In fact, I even think about getting rid of the helmet. I am such a beginner swimmer that I am more concerned with my technique and aerobic ability than any small improvement new gear will make. However, the big ticket item is paying for a place to swim. Having a free outdoor place to swim would be so great.

So what do you think the purest, most gear bereft enterprise is?
You may think soccer, running, basketball, etc.

You are all wrong.

It's martial arts.

I'm not talking about ninjas with swords and Chinese throwing stars. I'm not talking MMA with gloves, pads, and an octagon. And I'm not talking about yoga with your cute little mats (it's also not a martial art).

Pure martial arts. no gear needed. no special clothes. no shoes. no special space. no team.

Just your body and your mind.

Bam. Namaste.