Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Scooter part due - Aprilia RS 50


Just when I thought my scooter obsession was dying due to the low top speed and spec of the Honda Ruckus without extensive modification, it was revived by this Italian machine - the Aprilia RS 50 Factory. It cost about $500 more (new) than the Ruckus but has front and rear disc brakes rather than drums, fuel injection, larger wheels, two up seating and probably better handling. It also has a digital gauge cluster and a security feature. It looks like less mods would be needed to keep up with traffic. Now without any data, I would guess the Ruckus is more simple, require less maintenance and perhaps be more reliable than the Aprilia. My guess is the Ruckus would survive an EMP blast. However I'm more concerned about surviving traffic at this point.

It would be an interesting experiment to see if I could do without my own car and use a scooter instead. Better mileage, no insurance or motorcycle license required for 50cc scooters, less maintenance costs.

Modification list: dealer reflashed ecu to derestrict top speed, variator modification for higher top speed, aftermarket exhaust for more power, maybe a luggage rack.

apriliausa.com