Monday, March 7, 2011

Hell Bent for Leather

This is the last known photo of my homemade leather cover for my Levenger notebook with metal discs. I cut the leather to size and hand cut the little notches so it would fit in the discs. The leather was starting to attain scratches and a nice patina. While I am extremely modest, I could not resist admiring my handiwork.

This leather cover has been currently residing in the stomach of my dog for several days. She has a passion for leather like no other. A leather notebook, leather strap for a dustpan, a wallet I handsewed...all victims of this leather predator. I'm a little surprised my leather messenger bag still survives, but perhaps my dog is somewhat of a leather gourmet and the cheap Indian leather doesn't cut the mustard.

Actually, I last saw my leather cover last night. 2:00 am, my dog made some incredible hacking noises then, on the wood floor, sitting in a pool of leather stained stomach juices, a small wet lump of hide. I eagerly anticipate the return of the rest of my notebook cover. I think I can dry all the pieces out, sew it back together, and return it to its rightful place in front of my notebook.