Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Requirements for a Watch

I guess kids nowadays use their iPhones as their clock but for an analog person stuck in a digital world here are my requirements:

1) No battery replacement required. Automatic, or solar or kinetic.
2) Durable construction. Crystal and case cannot break or melt under reasonable trauma. Reminder, don't weld with watch on if you have an acrylic crystal.
3) Water resistant. I'm no diver, just need something I can swim and shower in.
4) Analog. There's something really Back to the Future about seeing all twelve hours at once.
5) Luminous hands and hour markings, including a discrete 12'0clock indicator. In pitch black it's hard to orient your watch to tell time if you cant tell where 12 is. trust me.

Optional.
Rotating bezel w/ luminous zero marking. (geez a Breitling divers watch i like doesnt even have this)
Day/Date

My watch of choice is the Seiko "Black Monster". Inexpensive but attractive. Has 1-5 plus both options. Inaccurate as heck. I have to adjust the time every couple of days or it ends up about 5 minutes fast, but that's better than slow...Had it for 8-10 years and don't think it will die. It's the only watch I will wear. the others sit in a drawer.