Wednesday, November 9, 2011

UPDATE. Gear Review: Klean Kanteen 12oz Wide Mouth Bottle

So I've been using my 12oz wide mouth Klean Kanteen daily for about 4-1/2 months now and I am mostly happy with it. The wide mouth makes it very easy to fill, drink, and (theoretically) clean. The size is very convenient. I can put this in a jacket pocket or even in the back pocket of my jeans for quick transport. You really do not need a larger size unless there are no water sources available throughout your day.

My one gripe is the wide mouth cap. It is mostly well designed to ensure your water does not touch plastic. I have a feeling the tight seal can retain water and encourage mold. Also you have to make sure the cap is on very tightly or else some
water will leak out. One last gripe about the cap. No matter how careful you are, water will drip from the cap, often on you, your wood floor, or important papers. I think it is due to the flat stainless steel inside surface of the cap. I am now used to tapping the cap over the bottle to shed excess water before I move the cap away from the bottle. It's annoying.

What's next for this bottle?
I will probably order the Cafe cap (with my REI dividend!) so I can drink from the bottle in the Hummer without having to remove the top. This Cafe cap is not leakproof.

I also am very tempted to plaster the bottle with stickers, but they will get burned off when I hopefully am forced to boil water in the bottle.


BONUS PRO TIP FOR THEEVILDRSIN READERS!

If you have this 12oz wide mouth Klean Kanteen you know it is not insulated. If you drink hot liquids you will burn your hand and hot or cold liquids will cool or warm quickly without the insulation. Well, this bottle is sized like a Coke (call me) can and fits those can Koozies (gives phone hand sign next to head and silently mouths "call me"). Taadaaa! now you have a makeshift insulated bottle! As an additional bonus it protects your bottle from dents if you drop it. Bam. You are welcome.