Sunday, November 6, 2011

Municipal Geographic: Blue Ridge Parkway Edition

So my girlfriend tells me we're getting out of the house and gonna go to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Cool, I like the driving and the views up there. Then she tells me we are waking up at 5am and leaving as soon as coffee is consumed. Not cool. I need my sleep.

The alarm goes off at 5am as promised. By the time coffee is consumed we are out the door at a still ludicrous for Saturday 7:30 am. But, my girlfriend was right. At that time on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you are the only soul there. No slow rubberneckers to get in your way. We proceeded at a legal, sporting pace.

"We need to say what we want to see because recently when we've said them, they come true."
I agreed and asked her what she wanted to see.
"Deer."
"Ok, I'm wishing for pirate treasure."

Bam. Around the next corner in a flash of movement on the side of the road was Blackbeard's gold, I mean a petite deer doing an about face and with a flash of white tail disappeared into the woods. Another benefit of waking up so early is seeing deer out to feed. We would proceed to see many more deer as we drove along.

Later as we crested a hill I saw a creature walking across the road. An OSTRICH! No, it was wild turkeys! We slowly drove by and my girlfriend desperately attempted to get some photos. We parked the car and quickly walked back to the fleeing turkeys. While my girlfriend peered into the mountain laurel for the turkeys, I saw a turkey take flight behind her, imitating a 747 and soar right past her as I tried to get her to turn around and capture the flight on camera. No luck.
a wild turkey runs for it.

Next, we park the car again and go check out some shaggy cows.This calf is so cute! I'd say a bovine version of my kitten Oliver!


The Municipal Geographic adventure continues with a trip to an alpaca farm! I wish we could raise one in the city. Shear its fur once a year and knit a sweater!
chewpaca.

Tupaca

Overall, a long successful day for Municipal Geographic at the Blue Ridge Parkway.