Monday, November 7, 2011

Gear Review: Wacom Bamboo Stylus



When it comes to sketching a design (ideating), I'm rather Old Testament. I'm most comfortable with a sheet of regular typing paper (wait, I guess they call it printer paper now!) and a Bic pen from a hotel. If I needed to edit the drawing I would use White Out or the ol' Xerox and Post-It note trick (wow that's a lot of brands name dropped. Call me!). This allows quick editing to your design - almost as fast as you can sketch. Another technique is using a lightbox to do overlays over a previous sketch. However effective, it definitely uses a lot of paper.

My girlfriend just gave me a Wacom Bamboo Stylus for use with Apple touchscreen products like the iPad. I've played with drawing apps before, mostly editing photos for amusement. See my Anne Geddes photo! While using your finger is ok for touching up photos, it kind of sucks for drawing or writing on a touchscreen.

For about $30 one can purchase a Wacom Bamboo Stylus. It is about the length of an uncapped Sharpie and about the same diameter of a Bic pen (seriously, brand managers, call me to advertise your products!). Except for the rubber tip, it is an all metal construction. The pocket clip is removable if you want it out of your way while you draw.

How does it draw/write? While I am still getting used to drawing and writing with the Bamboo, it works rather well. The tip is rather blunt so it is a little tough to know exactly where your line will be. If you write fast or are laying down some sweeping lines, there is a little lag time, which is more likely due to the touchscreen sensors than the pen.

Overall I think this is a great drawing and writing tool. To get the best use out of it I need to get used to the lag time and the specific drawing application. Warning, you will see a lot more sketches and modified photos on this blog!

If you would like one, consider purchasing through this link. I do get a commission if you buy through this link.
Wacom Bamboo Stylus - Other Tablet Accessories