Thursday, April 28, 2011

Turtle Travails




Last night was very stormy with tornado warnings keeping us glued to our NOAA weather radios. A radio alert in the middle of the night makes for some fitful sleeping. Fortunately in our area the weather was not too bad and now the sun is shining and the road is dry.

On the very outskirts (front curb) of the Municipal Geographic daily patrol, my partner sniffed out a weary traveler, possibly displaced by the storm. As we approached he warily retracted his head, but soon could tell we meant no harm.

"Do you mind showing me the way to the nearest creekside?" His English obviously had a thick amphibian accent.

"I can do more than that." I replied. I gently lifted his sun-warmed shell and he fully tucked himself in for the journey. I took twenty steps to the creek bank, which may have taken him half a day in his weakened state. I set him down in a shaded, sandy spot and stepped back a little.

"Much obliged."

I left him to continue his journey and took up the leash attached to my partner to continue our patrol.