Friday, February 4, 2011

Saving My Sole

I've had my New Balance 790 running shoes for probably over 2 years now and have been everywhere with them. I have worn through the sticky orange rubber to the more slippery midsole. Since I still like them very much, reluctant to buy another shoe and feel that there's still life in them, I decided to repair the sole.
I dropped by my neighborhood sporting goods store and picked up a tube of Shoe Goo for about $6
I washed and dried the surface to be repaired and spread a thin layer of goo. Caution, the goo gives off a lot of toxic fumes so work in a well ventilated place. I used the cardboard packaging to spread the goo evenly. I then set it aside overnight to dry.
The goo dries clear and definitely feels grippy. I probably could add additional thin layers but I think I'll wear them around and see how it goes.

There. Unnecessary shoe purchase delayed.
Now to see what else I can repair with this stuff. I'm thinking...everything.