Thursday, March 25, 2010

How Self Reliant are you?

I think I'm about average on the level of self reliance but would like to improve on this. I've made a list of skills I think I would need to depend less on others. This would not only enable me to depend less on the infrastructure but also save a little money.

1) Car repair and maintenance - also small engine repair and maintenance. Save money on taking car in for service. I think it is important to choose the car wisely as well. The simpler, the better. I'd rather not own a whole lot of specialized tools and for complex repairs it's better to take it in. Probably will go back to doing my own oil changes.

2) Grow own vegetables

3) Shoot a gun for defense and hunting.

4) First aid

5) Plumbing and electrical wiring - at least be able to make own repairs on house.

6) Carpentry / construction work.

7) catch fish

8) Firestarting

9) Butchering animals, cleaning fish

10) Obtaining water and purifying it

11) Navigation without GPS

12) Sewing

13) Cooking

Any others you can think of?