Tuesday, March 9, 2010

goggle search


I've worn contacts day in and day out for the past 20+ years but a few months ago I decided to get glasses (as shown on my avatar) and wear them daily. I had several reasons for this. Number one, I was not happy about the disposability of contacts and having to buy new ones all the time. I also figured if I kept my glasses for at least 3+ years I would actually save money. I could even use the same frame for a new prescription if needed. I also figured my eyeballs needed a break.
I also figured if something weird happened in the world and there were no more contacts I would be in big trouble. So I got some nice plastic tortoise shell frames with uv sensitive lenses that will darken. Only problem is it wont darken inside a car due to the windshield blocking UV rays.
Then I thought if for some reason there are no more opticians and I broke my glasses I would be screwed again. There is a twilight zone episode where a man with coke bottle / hubcap glasses is the sole survivor of an apocalypse. He rejoices that he has all the time in the world to read books, until he breaks his glasses. Now he's virtually blind. So what are the most durable glasses? Several thoughts.
1) sports goggles with a strap like my brother has to play basketball. Of course it may look strange to wear them in everyday situations. I do like the idea of wearing some kind of goggle
like acetylene welders or bikers, but I'm not sure if I can afford more strange looks.
2) titanium glasses, either with or without hinges. I like the idea of no hinges to fail but usually to eliminate hinges the arms are screwed into holes in the glass.
3) military issue glasses aka BCG or Birth Control Glasses. They got their name because they are so ugly it is impossible for you to impregnate anyone. Apparently in addition to ugly they are cheap and uncomfortable.
4) any metal glasses with the thickest arms and hinges and frame possible. less failures.
5) AND...see photo above. My Julbo mountaineering sunglasses. It looks like they are made of brass. I like how the lenses are round (easier to grind a round lens) and if you look carefully there are screws on the top of the frame to release or install the lens. This seems a lot better than having the screw near the temple. The hinges are very basic but seem strong. And the glasses have those rubber pieces that curl around your ear so they fit snugly. So the question is if I can get a prescription to fit this frame. Oh, and it would still look a little weird to wear everyday, but not as bad as goggles. Not pictured, the mountaineering nosepiece and the side shields to protect from snow glare.
What do you think?