Friday, February 26, 2010

What's in your bottle?



Old news but I just learned from the Patagonia website that they terminated their cobranding with Sigg in Sept 2009 because Sigg was apparently deceptive about BPA in their aluminum bottle liners. A couple years ago BPA was a big health issue and everyone switched from plastic bottles to stainless steel and aluminum bottles with Sigg as one of the benfactors of this trend.

Sigg bottles have a plastic liner but the company said their liners did not leach BPA. Whether the liners contain BPA was unclear. Apparently the liner did contain BPA and this info was kept hush hush for about a year until they came out with their BPA free liner in summer 2009.

I got my bottle for Valentines Day 2009. Now I really can't tell if it is the new or old liner. And even if BPA never leached out of the old liner I'm just disgusted at the apparent deception of Sigg. The witholding of the information and the timing of the release of the new BPA free liner seems rather suspicious. In addition, Sigg had agreed to take back old bottles (until Oct 2009 - i'm too late!). While that sounds nice, why would they do that if there is no issue? I'm going to find out if I can still return it to Sigg or REI.

Now I love my bottle and I just got the dents and stickers just how I like them. I will probably continue to drink out of my Sigg bottle. But I will not buy another product from Sigg. I guess the buyer has to perform one's own due diligence or they will never know what they are getting.