Friday, September 6, 2013

Running Errands

No seriously, actually RUN* errands.

* ok you can jog, walk or shuffle if you want to.

If you are within a mile or two of a grocery, bank, post office, library, drug store, video rental, you can literally run your errands. As much as i like to drive it seems wasteful to start up Rusty to go a mile or two down the street. It may save a little wear on your car and gas, but more importantly you get a little side benefit of outdoor exercise. 

1. Plan your route.
As a directionally challenged individual (my inner compass got demagnetized) this is pretty important for me. Several factors I look for: shortest route, least amount of traffic, sidewalks. Remember to run against traffic!

2. Carry on.
If I'm carrying small items like a letter, checks, DVD's, I'll just hand carry. If I'm returning or checking out books I'll bring a small backpack that will hug my back as well as cinch the gear against my back. If your stuff or pack is loose it will be annoying even for a mile or two. If I'm coming back with a heavy load I'll walk. If I'm coming back with groceries I'll bring two reusable or shopping bags in my pack and walk back with the loads balanced in each arm.

3. Dress to impress.
No reason to shop or browse the library while sweat-soaked. Wear non-cotton clothing that will wick sweat away from your body and dry quickly.