Monday, April 29, 2013

The broken arrow: part 1

As I write this I am waiting for a call back from a locksmith. A sick feeling resides in my stomach, stress compounded from my regular morning cups of coffee.

Three days ago, I was walking to my car, just having finished work for the day. I had some relaxing plans for the evening and as usual was in a hurry to get home. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and...oh. That's not good.

Bent spear.
My car key was bent at a rather extreme angle. I cautiously bent it back and as I feared, it snapped.

Broken arrow!

A little background. My car key has always been a pain. Through poor design it was cut to a very thin taper halfway down the key, making it prone to bending and splitting. No matter how many copies I made, they always started bending and splitting.

Back in the parking lot I weighed my options carefully and chose the wrong one. I decided to tape the pieces together assuming I would be able to pull the key back out. As a commuter, I was impatient to get home and did not want to spend the time to get a spare key. As myself, I saw it as a challenge. I was positive I could handle this myself and not have to ask for help. I was smart. I was resourceful. I...was stubborn.

I inserted the key and tried to turn the ignition. Nope. I pulled the key out and sat there staring at a stub. Of course the other half was in the ignition. What did you think would happen? I put the other half back in and to my surprise, it turned and the car started! Success! I would make it back home!