Thursday, February 7, 2013

12 things I'm doing to improve my diet

new years resolutions...getting old (thebacknine)...fear of diabetes...watching Food, Inc....getting healthy...there are many reasons I'm trying to improve my diet.

here are 12 things I'm doing:

1. Drink water.
I drink a ton of water. filtered tap, in a stainless steel water bottle. I do drink coffee, low cal Gatorade on swim days, and occasional soda.

2. cut back on sugar. due to fear of diabetes.

3. soda on rare occasions.
"I don't always drink soda, but when I do, it has real sugar." I've decided to cut back even more on soda this year and try to drink ones without high fructose corn syrup (azucar!) or artificial sweeteners.

4. lots of veggies. no brainer.

5. don't overeat.
I still need to work on this, especially when my girlfriend cooks. her food is so awesome! I do cut veggies very well and wash dishes adequately.

6. plain Greek yogurt.
it has a lot of protein and not too much sugar. also if it wasn't for Greek yogurt, I'd have no culture at all.

7. cut back on bread and pasta. no more daily pbj sandwiches, but still enjoying breads and pastas, whole grain when possible.

8. cottage cheese.
oh wait! more culture!

9. nuts.
my nuts aren't big but I have a lot of them...in the form of almonds, pistachios, and natural peanut butter (no added sugar).

10. dark chocolate!
I love dark chocolate. I'm trying different brands, flavors, focusing on responsible companies. I'm only buying one bar at a time and trying (trying!) to only eat a little at a time.

11. less eating out and fast food.
another no brainer.

12. try new things.
the past couple weeks we've tried kale, bulgar, flaxseed smoothies, and seaweed...no, not in a smoothie. it's interesting and who knows? maybe we will love them and adopt some of these healthy things to our diet. maybe.

13. cheat.
i can't eat perfectly all the time.
maybe get a burger, fries and soda sometime.
in fact, I think I'll have a pizza tonight!