Monday, April 9, 2012

I found an Easter egg!

In an incident of profuse irony, I found a real egg in the yard while mowing, one day after Easter. An unbroken, blue robin's egg. There are numerous reasons to believe this egg won't hatch. It may be unfertilized. Already cooled off in the night air. Killed or deformed in the fall.

Yet still it sits on an electric blanket in a basket in the hopes that something will hatch. Even if it hatches life is not guaranteed. It would be a herculean task to feed it the right amount of food as frequently as required. Plus I'm not good at regurgitating worms. They get stuck in my teeth...

Life is hard. Not for you and me who have food, clothing, shelter. Our complaints are mostly about the gravy. We feel sorry for ourselves while other animals never do. They just live, struggle, starve, kill, and die.

There is probably no Easter miracle for this egg but I can still do what I can and hope.