Monday, October 18, 2010

Municipal Geographic Policy Violation

Last week, under duress one of Municipal Geographic's fundamental policies was violated. Here at MuniGeo, we have two major policies: 1) We do not travel outside the neighborhood to capture photos of wildlife. The savings are passed on to you. 2) We do not interfere with wildlife in order to bring you photos. No baiting, no capturing. The photos are of wildlife in their natural habitat, unposed.
However, last week I saw traffic ahead of me stopped. I saw a squirrel-sized kitten tentatively attempting to cross the street, notably away from the local Thai restaurant and obviously ignorant of our municipal jaywalking laws. I quickly jumped out of the vehicle to attempt to move this kitten out of traffic. The kitten was rather uncooperative, first hiding deep under a Toyota Camry, out of my grasp even when I laid prone on the street reaching under the car. It finally made a sprint into oncoming traffic. However, I was able to flag down traffic and tackle the kitten and return to my vehicle.
As they say, no good deed goes unpunished. Not only had I violated the principles of the organization I founded, I was also out 1/4 the price of a Taurus Judge for the vet visit to de-flea and de-worm the kitten.
Once a policy has been violated, you can never go back. The kitten has obviously imprinted on me and can never survive in the wild again. It is too accustomed to hourly feedings and fleece-lined bedding. From here I will continue to rehabilitate this kitten in hopes that in the future it will make a useful contribution to our organization and society.

below, first photo is of kitten immediately after capture. Second photo, four days later.