Thursday, October 21, 2010

Is The Popcorn Factory Racist?

While browsing through the Halloween 2010 catalog of The Popcorn Factory www.thePopcornFactory.com I saw a tin with the Popcorn Pals - cute popcorn characters dressed in various costumes or holding accessories to depict certain flavors. Very cute. Then I noticed two of the characters. One is wearing a white headband with Asian-looking characters on them. Another is holding a pair of chopsticks...And both of their eyes are depicted as little slits. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

This looks like a racist depiction or caricature of Asians to me. What do you think? I don't think that both characters with Asian derived accessories happened to be blinking when they were drawn. Yes these are cutely drawn characters but I do not want my race to be a character! I also do not want young people to think it is acceptable. What if other races were depicted as Popcorn Pals in such a stereotypical manner? There would be an uproar? Note there is a Popcorn Pal wearing a Mexican Hat. What is next? Is there going to be a dark colored popcorn with an afro? how about one with a big nose and a yarmulke?

I emailed The Popcorn Factory customer service. my original email and the response is below.

I do not plan on ordering anything from this company until I see that these characters are discontinued. I also will encourage friends of all races to do the same.


Thank you for contacting us.

I am sorry that you were offended with the drawing of the Popcorn Pal.
This information will be forwarded to our Merchandising Department for review.


Sincerely,

Sharon Thomas
The Popcorn Factory
service@thepopcornfactory.com

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
I'm very disappointed about the racist caricature of the Ginger
teriaki popcorn Pal. It is the only one with "slanted" eyes. No
other character has eyes drawn this way.

Please redraw this character. I've gone through enough racism in my
life - I don't want to open my popcorn factory catalog and see more.

Thanks,