Thursday, March 22, 2012

and now some stuff

Gadgets.
On the heels of my anti-stuff rant comes a post about buying stuff. I'm typing this post on an iPad (though not the new one) using a wireless keyboard. It took a few seconds to get used to and is working well. Pro tip...use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor around and save you from having to reach and touch the screen when typing. This set up will come in handy to blast out a quick post whether I'm on the move or just sitting at home without needing the laptop.

Footwear.
Warm weather is here and my toes ache for a breath of fresh air while at work or on the run. My Soft Star Moc3's are awesome as always but I'm just keeping an eye out for some sandal action. With my precious REI gift card burning a hole in my pocketses, I looked online to see what was available. Chaco has a new slightly lighter sandal. Hmm, interesting but still heavy. Ha! Teva has something called the Zilch, a minimalist sandal. Not too ugly but has a toe loop, a strap across the forefoot and ankle. My ankle bone seems to be located a little lower on my foot which enables straps or edges of shoes to rub my ankle badly. But I'm willing to give this a try, especially with REI's stellar 100% satisfaction guarantee. I will make sure it fits well indoors to insure they can be resold as new if I need to return them. Stay tuned for an update next week when I get them in! If it works out I'll probably be wearing these exclusively for awhile.

Cars.
Relax. I didn't buy a new car. One of the most anticipated cars for enthusiasts is coming out - the Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ. Now we know it will cost $25K for the Scion, and get 22/30 mpg for manual transmission and require premium fuel. It is a lot of car for the money but it is still a lot of money compared to a used Miata. You can have as much fun on the street and track in Hiroshima's finest for $5k for a used NA generation, using regular gas and get an average mpg of...26.2.