Thursday, April 8, 2010

It's just a matter of time.

Currently I've either matched or surpassed my record for years without trading in my car(s) and buying something else. I've changed cars from as quickly as 6 months to at most 3-4 years. I think I'm hitting 4-5 years right now. The past few cars has been an arms race, trying to "upgrade" to something faster or cooler. Looking back, that determination looks a little more questionable in relation to money spent.

'91 Toyota Celica ST> '85 Jeep Cherokee + Honda Hawk motorcycle > '00 Toyota Celica GTS > Celica plus '04 Dodge SRT-4 > SRT-4 plus '96 Mazda Miata > Miata plus '99 FRC Chevy Corvette > Miata plus Current Car. The Miata has been a dream car of mine since it came out and I prob will never get rid of it because it is so fun for so little money and plus not worth selling.

At this point, I feel like any car I get that I can afford will be a "downgrade" compared to what I currently have. This is a psychological hurdle because really, how much car is enough for the street? I used to buy just with performance in mind.

So what car do I think I would be happy to own for (the next) ten years, aside from the Miata? I'm thinking a '06 supercharged Mini Cooper S or a Subaru WRX STI (hatchback). The goal is long term reliability, minimal running costs, lots of fun and decent performance, and more utility than a two door passenger convertible. Also a solid roof for addition of a roof rack.

Other possibilities:
Mark V VW GTI (reliability?)
2011 Mustang.
Honda Civic Si Sedan (seems to meet all requirements, but perhaps a little dull)
Toyota "FT-86 / Celica"

Any other suggestions?

We will see what happens.